Being an effective communicator is a requirement for successful leaders. There are many forms of communication and there are varying styles.
Communication can be complicated. If we are effective communicators, the message we send will be received and accurately understood!
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
–George Bernard Shaw
The 4 Types of Communication
When we send our message, the receiver has filters that may impact the accurate receipt of our message. This is why it is critical that you know the 4 types of communication and the impact they have on your message. While you use these every day, some you may not even be aware of.
- The usage of words
- The ability to control what we say
- A common belief that we all interpret words the same
- The way something is said
- How quickly we speak, pause, tone of voice, intensity levels
- Our words may not match our delivery!
Body Language Communication
- How we physically communicate
- Do we stand, cross our arms, roll our eyes, shake hands firmly, make eye contact?
- Facial expressions and eye contact impact interpretations
Personal Space Communication
- Includes the space between you and others
- How you arrange your workspace (cluttered vs. neat / organized vs. disorganized)
- Choice of decorations / personal touches
- Your personal appearance!
Communication improves with awareness. What positive communication behaviors do you exhibit? What are your trouble spots? Make it your goal to communicate with confidence and have your message accurately interpreted!
PeopleTek’s strategic partnership with eCoach offers you a new online support tool for finding solutions for day-to-day issues.
This online coaching support tool provides immediate advice for handling everyday challenges in 3 main areas: People Smarts, Business Sense, and Personal Savvy
Read more about QwikCoach for a preview of possibilities.