Are You Equipped to Accept & Deal With Change?
The rate of change is not going to slow down anytime soon. If anything, competition in most industries will probably speed up even more in the next few decades.
–John P. Kotter
How do you feel when you are told that there will be changes in the workplace? We’ve worked with a lot of individuals and teams and have been told that managing change is one of their biggest issues.
Matter of fact, in a recent survey we conducted, only 11% of the responders felt they managed change effectively.
Given the times, we need to expect that change will continue to occur at a rapid pace, and we should anticipate and prepare for discomfort and uncertainty.
So, how can we prepare and help ourselves and our teams adjust?
8 Thoughts For Managing Change Effectively
- We need to understand and clearly communicate all changes and associated impacts.
- We need to ensure team members are clear about any changes to their roles and responsibilities.
- We need to re-validate or perhaps update our vision, mission, and goals and communicate the changes.
- We must identify all challenges our teams are facing. Do you know? Have you asked? During uncertain times, we need to increase our level of awareness and communicate more than ever.
- We need to re-build team synergy, and invest in and re-skill our top performers.
- We also need to “sell” our teams by publicizing their successes and the value provided.
- We need to realize that change impacts us differently. Some may be energized and flourish while others become almost immobilized; try to have one on ones with individuals. They don’t need to be formal; engage team members around the coffee pot or in the break room. For offsite teams and team members, call them. ASK how they are feeling!
- Watch for diminishing productivity levels and changes to morale.
Let us know your tips for effectively managing change!
Change is an Ongoing Process
Change is continual and requires us to be adaptable. We need to understand and identify our productive and nonproductive change behaviors, and commit to minimizing and even eliminating those behaviors that are not serving us well.
Most importantly, communication is key. As leaders we need to communicate more than ever; it’s critical we provide information and impacts, and it’s equally important that we listen and sense how others are feeling.
PeopleTek provides solutions for helping you better understand and embrace change, and will work with you to identify your change opportunities.
Check out our custom programs for more information or contact us.